March 5th, 2015
6508 Plano Jumbo Airline Rod Case – Product Reviewby Grant Pentiricci March 5, 2013
At AnglingAuthority.com we firmly believe that a product review only has true value if the item is actually being used. This Plano Jumbo Airline case is no exception! With our fishing trip in Florida coming up quickly we began our search for an adequate carry case for our precious rods.
Since we planned to take some heavy equipment (our rods ranged from 7’0″ to 7’9″) we wanted something that was adjustable. We were also planning on traveling with one piece rods so we needed something that expanded to at least 109 inches.
Aside from the first two factors, we also needed something that was light, yet rugged enough to withstand the rigors of airline abuse. I also didn’t want anything too heavy since I knew that we would be definitely moving around Florida to hit different lakes.
So Began the Research…
I had constructed a 7’2″ rod travel tube from ABS piping a few years back for another trip. However, it was only capable of taking three rods of limited length. It looks like a huge pipe bomb and I’m sure that going through an airport is something that I wont be looking forward to. It is made from 6′ ABS plumbing pipe with 2 screw on caps. Perfect for domestic ground travel, but not airline travel.
When considering whether or not to build a new larger tube I had to consider some factors:
- Cost – is the cost going to be higher than purchasing something on the market?
- Size – Can I construct something reusable and adjustable?
- Weight – How light can I make it? ABS pipe is heavy; Remember that you have to lug this puppy around through airports!
- Security – It needs to accommodate a TSA-approved lock so that the rods will be secured during transit, while still remaining accessible for inspections from the Transportation Security Administration
- Practicality – I want to construct something that is reusable and not so cumbersome that I can’t store it in my home
After considerable research I concluded that the Plano Jumbo Airline Rod Case was the best bet for taking our rods to Florida. I was able to find it at BPS for $109.00. The cost of this tube is competitive and I think that this product meets all my criteria. Keep in mind that depending on your airline carrier, you may have to pay extra fees to check in oversized sporting equipment. Contact you airline in advance, and include it in the budget of your dream fishing trip to Florida lakes in search of trophy-sized bass.
- Diameter = 8.5″
- Length = 67″ expandable to 112″
- Molded handle
- Integrated wheels for easy transportation
- Thick walled molded plastic construction
- 10-rod capacity
About Grant, Founder of AnglingAuthority.com
About AuthorMore info about author
Grant is the Founder of AnglingAuthority.com. While he primarily fishes for large mouth and small mouth bass, he’s passionate about sport fishing in general and an avid multispecies angler. Learning about new tactics, gear, species and conditions is all part of what makes the sport challenging and enjoyable. Grant also loves to travel, particularly to prime fishing destinations. Grant participates in regional tournaments and is a proud pro staff member of State Apparel, Power-Pole and Gambler Lures. Grant is a member of B.A.S.S, Canadian Bass Anglers Federation and Ontario Federation of Anglers & Hunters.More by Grant Pentiricci